Adding a new client [ADMIN]
Getting started! Adding a new client file in Silverfin is really simple, and we have a 'Client Wizard' to help you do this.
From your Silverfin homepage (accessed by clicking on the Silverfin logo in the top left corner), you can see a button in the top right labelled ' Add new client'.
This will launch the ' Client Wizard'.
The process is split up into 6 stages:
- Administrative Sync
- Client File Details
- Client Template
- Pulse Set Up
- User Access
For a synced file:
- Synchronisation type: Select the relevant bookkeeping system you want to integrate with
- Xero TB only, (read here for more information on when to use TB only: https://en.help.silverfin.com/article/665-xero-clients-with-fx)
- Sage One,
- Sage 50 (if the relevant Sage drivers have been set up - chat to your CSM if you need further details on this).
- Advanced Option: Start syncing from this date: Only required if you want to sync from a specific date (i.e. you don't want to sync all historical data). Our top tip here is to leave this blank, and this will sync all of the information from the bookkeeping system!
For a manual file: select manual file, complete the rest of the wizard, and then read this article to find out how to add data.
- Type: You can select 'Standard' or 'Analytical.' A standard template is used to analyse a full company (i.e. the total value) and is most commonly used. An analytical template is used to analyse a range of sectors/segments (e.g. tracking categories within Xero) within Silverfin and come at an additional fee. There is more information on an Analytical template here.
- Report by: Enter the reporting frequency here (Monthly, Quarterly, Annual). If the client has already been created and you want to alter the frequency in the middle of a period, you can do this through opening the 'Edit Client' screen
- Currency: The currency used in your underlying bookkeeping system
Once complete, click 'Save & Continue.' You will be redirected to your bookkeeping system where you will need to enter your login credentials and then 'Allow access' to Silverfin on the next screen.
2. Administrative Sync
Silverfin can integrate with Companies House to automatically obtain company details, such as:
- Company Name,
- Company Number,
- Entity Type,
- Address, etc.
In short, if this has been set up for your firm, you just need to enter the Registered Company Number here!
To find out more information on how to set up the Admin Sync: please read this article.
You can always set this up at a later stage, so don't worry if you don't have the details on hand at this stage.
3. Client File Details
This form is quite easy to complete, but here are a few things which may sound a bit foreign (don't worry, any details input here can easily be amended at a later stage by clicking ' Edit client' within the relevant client file). Also, if you are setting up your Admin Sync to Companies House, you can leave some of this blank, and it will populate based on the information in Companies House, either overnight, or when you trigger the sync.
- Need more details for the address? Simply put a comma between the extra pieces of info you'd like to add! This is useful for Accounts Production where the address will then show on separate lines
- Logo: If you want to display the client’s logo on the front page of an export, you can upload it here
4. Client Template
The selection here depends on whether you have different client templates or not! Basically, you just need to select the client template that is relevant to the file you are adding.
- Client template: This is the client template you want this client file to follow. You as a firm can have a number of different client templates, which will vary slightly depending on 'client type.' You can read more about client templates here.
Note: If the client template selected has a specified mapping assigned to it, you will not be able to select a different 'Account mapping' option when adding a new client. Please read this article if you require any further guidance on this or how to change it (i.e. if you do want the user to be able to select different mapping options at this level).
5. Pulse Set Up
Pulse is the Client Portal that you can use with your customers. A Pulse template will determine which information you will share with your client (if you choose to add External Users). Only an admin can design pulse templates.
This is not mandatory, but if you do wish to set up a Pulse then this is where you can do it! You can also set this up later through the 'Edit Client' screen.
6. User Access
Finally, you will need to decide which users have access to this file.
You can always add or remove users late on. See the article How can I add a new user?
Click ' Create new client' and voila- your client is set up and the data will start syncing from the underlying book keeping system.
Need a hand? Contact your CSM and they'd be more than happy to help out!